Egyptian spice market in Istanbul or the so-called market Attarine is an integral part of the old Ottoman Turkish civilization and culture is part and was formerly known as the commercial center of Istanbul in what was seen from a distinctive commercial movement.
And is the second largest market in Istanbul after the Grand Bazaar, market was built by Sultan Murad III in 1597 AD and was the target of the market building financing expenses and build a new mosque actually paid market, which officially opened in 1664. It also remained the main center of the spice trade in Turkey in general and in Istanbul in particular, for more than two centuries.
And the name of the market. In the beginning, it was called the "New Bazaar" but later took the name of the Egyptian Bazaar, and named after the Egyptian market due to import coffee and spices from India and South Asia to Egypt and from there to Istanbul via the Mediterranean Sea.
During 1947 and after World War II, the modern Turkish government for changes to the market where he was for a long time specialized in the sale of herbal and folk remedies, but the government turned it into the sale of basic foodstuffs due to the economic crisis experienced by the country after World War II.
For the six entrances to the Egyptian market, in which about 140 shop, part of them gold, gifts, and apparel, and most of the nuts, candies, spices, herbs, diverse and food.